My new cupcake celebration book is about to hit the shelves so I thought I’d tempt you with one of the cake recipes – a taster of what’s to come! If you haven’t yet ordered your copy why not do so now…!! Click to order
sticky ginger cupcakes
This is one of my favourite cupcake recipes, it makes beautifully moist and tasty cakes everytime. For me this recipe evokes memories of my grandmother and the wonderful aromas of baking that were often surrounded her – fantastic comfort food!
120g (4 ½ oz)Butter
100g (3 ½ oz) dark brown soft sugar (molasses sugar)
4 tbsp (60 ml)golden syrup (corn syrup)
4 tbsp (60ml) black treacle (molasses)
150ml/ 1/4pint milk
2 eggs beaten
1 ½ tsp 7.5ml vanilla extract
4 pieces of stem ginger, drained from syrup and chopped
230g (8oz) self raising flour
25g (1oz) ground ginger
1 tsp (5ml) mixed spice
- Preheat oven to 170° C (325°F) Gas 3
- Line bun or muffin trays with paper cupcake cases
- Place butter, sugar, golden syrup, black treacle into a pan and warm over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Stir in the milk and allow mixture to cool.
- When mixture has cooled beat in the eggs, vanilla and stem ginger.
- Sift flour and spices into a bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Gradually pour the cooled liquid into the well and beat with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Pipe the mixture into the cupcake cases. They should be about three quarters full.
- Bake for about 20 or until a fine skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes for 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely
Enjoy and let us know what you think!